We have made this dessert for ages but it has never had a name. Decided on “Greek Mess” as it is fairly topical! ( and it’s an adaptation of an Eton mess)
- 4 cups frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1 cup cream ( we used Ashgrove)
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup caster sugar ( may not use it all- adjust to taste)
- meringues ( we made out own, but if you are time poor you could use a packet of store bought mini meringues)
- vanilla icecream.
- mint for serving
Put 3 of the cups of raspberries in saucepan, add wine and jam. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20-30 mins. Add remaining cup of frozen raspberries. Allow to cool. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form ( no butter though!). Add the greek yoghurt, vanilla and half of the sugar. Whip slowly until sugar dissolved. Taste and add rest of sugar if needed.
Place yoghurt cream mixture in bottom of serving bowl ( we used a large wine glass). Spoon some raspberries on top. Add some icecream and then some crushed meringues. Repeat layers. Decorate with sprig of mint.