Is there anyone who doesn’t love pizza? This may be a little gourmet, a bit more than your average ham & pineapple but really worth the effort for a special occasion.
Don’t want to brag but may be the best pizza I’ve ever had, the combination of lemony succulent lamb, creamy slightly acidic goats cheese, the fresh peppery rocket, the……..oh I could go on but give it a go and see if you like it 🙂
250 g lamb sirloin (or your cut of choice)
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs lemon zest
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs dried oregano leaves
salt & pepper
1 punnet cherry or small roma tomatoes
2 cups grated mozarella cheese
100 g goats cheese (I used Westhaven goats cheese – so yum!)
2 cups fresh rocket
1 small onion diced
2 tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 small can diced tomatoes
2 tbs tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tbs dried yeast
pinch of caster sugar
4 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
60 ml olive oil
- Marinate the meat overnight or for at least 2 hours. Slice meat into thin strips and marinate in oil, lemon juice, zest, oregano, salt & pepper.
- Prepare the sauce: Saute onion, garlic until soft. Add tomatoes, paste, sugar and boil gently. When cool, puree until smooth.
- Make the dough: Combine the water, yeast and sugar in a bowl and leave until foamy (approx 5 mins). In a large bowl combine the flour and salt and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and oil, using a knife to mix together until combined. Turn the mixture onto a floured bench and knead or until smooth & elastic. Brush a bowl lightly with some extra oil. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover, set in a warm place for approx 30 mins or until double in size. You could of course skip the majority of this step and use your bread maker if you have one (like I did). This dough will make about 4 pizzas. There are enough topping ingredients for 2 large pizzas and then you can make child friendly ones as well :).
- Preheat oven to very hot – approx 200°C. Preheat pizza trays/stones in oven
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured bench. (which has been divided into 4 even pieces).
- Spread the pizza bases with tomato sauce (not too much, this shouldn’t be all about the sauce!)
- Top with mozzarella (1st so everything sticks to it!) marinated lamb, sliced tomatoes, crumbled goats cheese.
- Put onto preheated trays or stones
- Bake until base is crispy and toppings golden brown.
- Remove from oven, top with fresh rocket, slice and serve!